Boston-based Chicago singer-songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, and composer-arranger-producer Kate Diaz is an "accomplished acoustic guitar player" with "an astonishing voice" who has released four acoustic albums of pop/rock songs with "clever lyrical content" and "natural rhythmic flow," including award-winning songs and songs for causes. Endorsed by Godin Guitars, Kate has played over 200 shows at Chicago/LA/NY/Boston venues, as guest performer of well-known bands, and at national festivals. She also works as a commercial composer and freelance vocalist.
"She certainly made a splash with us at BestNewBands.com with her astonishing voice and knack for songwriting! BestNewBands.com discovered Kate Diaz in partnership with ReverbNation..." - BestNewBands.com
'"supremely talented...gorgeous voice, and amazing songwriting and guitar chops...this Berklee singer/songwriter and multi-instrumentalist will blow your mind." - WIMN/SHE ROCKS Awards
"Her songwriting skills are catchy as all get out and impressive for someone of any age" - Sonicbids
"Bright, singer-songwriter chops and a clean, clear, articulate singing voice" - Chicago Tribune
"precociously soulful voice" - Sound Of Boston
"she's got quite the singing voice (it's in the general range of Norah Jones and Joss Stone)" - Stubby's Blog
"A songwriter wise beyond her years, an accomplished acoustic guitar player" - Illinois Entertainer
"An assertive rock/pop song which has the energy and full sound of a Kelly Clarkson radio hit--you wouldn't guess that it's a 15-year-old who wrote and sang this song" - SongwriterUniverse
"A natural knack to her writing that has a natural rhythmic flow. The lyrical content is clever" - Holly Hutchinson
"I really enjoyed listening to her voice and I was shocked at her incredibly mature songwriting" - Sonicbids
"Her voice and her songs make it clear that she is wise beyond her years...incredible voice this 14-year-old has up her sleeve" - College News
"She’s one of the better songwriters I’ve heard in a long time" - Tor Hyams, Kidzapalooza festival producer, in Chicago Sun-Times
"Kate Diaz, who nailed every stirring song" - TimeOut Chicago
EPK press quotes and press links...
Finalist/semi-finalist awards in several songwriting contests entered on SonicBids, including Mountain Stage NewSong, ISC, IMA, UO and others; ASCAP Plus awards since 2012.
Three studio-recorded singles: Locks (2/2014) • Christmas Smiles (11/2013) • Down To Earth (4/2012)
Four acoustic albums of original songs: Horizon (5/2014) • Wildfire (2/2013) • Electrified (9/2011) • Two By Four (2/2011)
Solo shows at major festivals:
• Lollapalooza (Chicago), Summerfest (Milwaukee), Midpoint (Cincinnati), Taste of Chicago festival slots selected by Sonicbids.com.
• CMJ Music Marathon, Berklee/Vanyaland/Heavy Rotation Records/Red Room Showcase (NYC).
• NAMM 2017, performer, Godin Booth (Los Angeles).
• HATCH, as its 2017 Music Groundbreaker (Big Sky, Montana).
• Northside Festival (Brooklyn).
• ASCAP Expo SheRocks Showcase (Los Angeles).
• India Foundation Magic Bus girls rights charity gala at St. Regis Hotel (NYC).
Performances with major artists:
• Invited as guest performer by international hip-hop artist at Chicago Metro sold-out show.
• Invited as guest performer by well-known national rock band at Chicago House of Blues sold-out show.
• Opening act for celebrity XFactor band at Chicago House Of Blues sold-out show.
• National Mall Earth Day Festival performer, an event with four musical acts including famous rock band headliner.
• Chicago KISS-FM Coca-Cola Lounge, won singer-songwriter competition judged live by British pop star after she performed.
TV/radio /media performances:
• Pre-Lollapalooza performance/interview by the Chicago Tribune music critic, at the Chicago Theatre.
• Two performances on ABC Chicago television.
• Performance/interview at Chicago Kiss-FM radio event.
Local/regional solo shows during college:
Lawn On D GildedFest, video and release concert for Live From Nowhere music video series at The Rockwell, Boston GreenFest, Boston KnowTomorrow climate change festival, Middle East, SoWa Unplugged music series, Summer In The City concert series in Kendall Square.
Alex & Ani summer music series (Sakonnet Vineyard, RI), Cape May Singer-Songwriter Conference (NJ), SailFest (New London, CT), Elm City Music Festival (New Haven, CT).
Band shows with own pop/rock band with Berklee drummer and Berklee bass player:
Boston Book Festival, WGBH Boston Food & Wine Festival, Hotel W private wedding cocktail hour, The Rose Kennedy Greenway, CafeTeria restaurant.
On-campus shows and performances:
Berklee CWP Department Student Showcase at BPC (1 of 10 selected) • Summer Guitar Sessions master class performer at BPC • Guitar Dept. Singer Songwriter Showcases at BPC • Berklee In The Round (BITR) songwriter showcase at Café 939 • Joni Mitchell Ensemble show • BIRN Alive! show • 5-Week BPC Singers Showcase, BPC Songwriters Showcase, BPC World Ensemble • CAF solo shows.
Harvard Sanders Theatre, for freshman talent show (1 of 10 selected by audition) • Paine Hall, solo show for Arts First Festival • Earth Day Festival solo show (1 of 3 bands) • Barker Arts Café, solo show • Queen's Head Pub, solo show • Eliot Grille, solo show • Summer Music in the Plaza series solo shows • Renegade Mini-Fest, WEMF student showcase, SOCH, played bass/guitar/backup vocals for another student's alt/rock band.
• Hercules film theme song orchestral arrangement and six-song Rocky Horror Picture Show orchestra medley, both performed by the Harvard Pops at Sanders Theatre, Lowell Lecture Hall, and at Arts First festival.
• Pacoça arrangement for four flutes, performed by the Harvard Flute Ensemble at Paine Hall.
Other performance experience prior to college:
• Recruited to audition at Center Staging (Burbank, CA) and selected for The Voice Season 4, but declined because of school.
• Booked own solo shows, over 150 performances at Chicago venues and at national festivals.
• Played 2-hour lunchtime sets of original songs and covers at Potbelly Sandwich Shop every weekend from age 12-16.
• With Voices Rising chorus, performed at Carnegie Hall, The Kennedy Center, Chicago Symphony Hall, Chicago Harris Theater, Northwestern University Pick-Staiger Hall.
...for upcoming events, click here:
Taylor Guitars gave me this blue-tiful electric demo guitar because they heard me at Summerfest and said they liked my guitar playing! I'm using it at school for jazz combo and it rocks!!
me and my Luna Muse bubina guitar that V.G. and Y.D. sent me in 2008 because of my "Guitar Superstar" song. And below is the beautiful henna cedar guitar Luna sent me for MeowCon 2013.
© Copyright 2016 Kate Diaz