I am endorsed by Godin Guitars, and they built me one just in time for Summerfest :)
Taylor Guitars gave me this blue-tiful electric guitar because they heard me at Summerfest and said they liked my guitar playing! I'm using it at school for jazz combo and it rocks!!
Me and my Luna guitar that V.G. and Y.D. sent me in 2009 when they saw my youtube. Sounds so gr8, and once for school I wrote a poem about its pulchritude.
K8DS is Chicago pop acoustic songwriter/musician Kate Diaz, b. 1997
Kate Diaz writes all her own songs, and in the past few years has been selected on Sonicbids to play shows at this year's Taste Of Chicago Bud Light stage, 2012 Milwaukee Summerfest's U.S. Cellular stage, 2011 Lollapalooza's Kidzapalooza stage, as well as at some of the most well known venues around Chicago.
This year Kate is an IMA Nominee in the 12th Annual Independent Music Awards and was asked to open for a well-known touring teen pop band at their sold-out Chicago House Of Blues show. She has endorsements with Godin Guitars and Gorilla Ears IEMs. Other highlights include performing last year at the 2012 Earth Day festival on the National Mall in Washington DC, her guest appearances at sold-out Metro and House of Blues shows, Chicago LIVE! and Windy City Live show appearances, her songs for children's cancer and environmentalism, and awards from: National YoungArts, Ascap, Berklee, a KissFM contest judged by a huge pop star, and online songwriting competitions.
Kate started out on YouTube in 5th grade, and got herself a job playing at her local Potbelly sandwich shop the next year. She debuted twice in Chicago, age 12 at House Of Blues and age 13 at The Metro, as a guest performer of well-known bands who liked her youtube videos of their songs. At 13 Kate also discovered SonicBids, which opened up a whole new world for her, enabling the teenager to get selected online for shows and songwriting competitions in Chicago and beyond.
Kate released her third live acoustic album of original songs in February, and also has released two singles. She juggles high school and soccer with being a DIY musician, doing all her own booking, websites, poster and album art, videos, copyrighting, digital releases, burning CDs. Kate's passion for music is fueled by all the youtubers who take the time to leave comments, the generous customers at Potbelly and people who come out to shows, and the many incredibly nice musicians and music industry people, both online and in Chicago, who have gone out of their way with encouragement, opportunities and the guitars that make the music.
Taste Of Chicago performer- Grant Park, Chicago, IL - July 2013
Selected on Sonicbids to perform on the Bud Light Stage, July 14.
Opening Act for Emblem3 at Chicago House Of Blues - March 26, 2013
Sold-out show on main stage. Main act Emblem3 is one of Simon Cowell's XFactor groups.
Earth Day Festival on The National Mall performer - Washington DC, April 22, 2012
Performed original song "Down To Earth" at festival headlined by Cheap Trick.
Milwaukee Summerfest performer - June 2012
Selected on Sonicbids to perform at Summerfest, on the U.S. Cellular Stage, June 30.
Also invited to tape acoustic performance & interview on the Sennheiser Artist Tour Bus, July 4.
Lollapalooza Music Festival performer - Grant Park, Chicago, IL - August 2011
Selected on Sonicbids to perform on the Kidzapalooza Stage, Friday August 5 & Sunday August 7.
Chicago LIVE! performer - August 2011
Interviewed live by Chicago Tribune music critic Greg Kot, and performance, at Chicago Theatre.
National YoungArts Winner, Honorable Mention in Popular Voice category - January 2013
ASCAP Plus Awards, Popular Music Division - 2012, 2013
Performing rights organization ASCAP (American Society of Composers, Authors & Publishers) determines ASCAP Plus Awards yearly by independent panel of distinguished music experts.
Ellie Goulding Next IT Girl Winner - April 2012
Finals were judged by Ellie Goulding live at Chicago Kiss-FM radio stations Coca Cola Lounge.
Berklee/Sonicbids Battle For Five-Week Winner - June 2011
Finals held in Boston at Cafe 939 and judged by Berklee professors. Prize was a full ride to 2011 Berklee summer program. Finalists were selected by Berklee via Sonicbids EPKs. Full merit scholarships also to return for two more summers, 2012 and 2013.
Godin Guitars endorsement, Gorilla Ears in ear monitors endorsement.
Also received guitars from Taylor Guitars, Martin Guitars and Luna Guitars.
Arts and Athletes For The Earthmusic partner.
EarthDay.org artists and athletes committed to green living and environmental awareness.
NSHSS Foundation/CPF grant to continue "Down To Earth" HangOn project - May 2013
"Ten top high school scholars who exemplify what it is to be an environmental steward, humanitarian, and leader." - Claes Nobel, Founder National Society Of High School Scholars.
Captain Planet Environmental Gala at The Georgia Aquarium - Atlanta GA, December 2012
Down To Earth music video started event; one of 4 teens to win environmentalist award and trip to attend.
United Nations International Day Of The Girl - October 11, 2012
Asked to write a song for the newly established United Nations International Day Of The Girl, promoting girls rights. Don't Leave Her Behind was broadcast live at the Day Of The Girl Summit.
Chicago ABC-7 television Windy City Live morning show
Performed original songs on the show twice, in July 2011 and also in December 2011.
Huffington Post video interview - December 2012
Featured in The Huffington Post for "Christmas Smiles" song and childrens cancer fundraisers.
Two studio-recorded singles: Down To Earth (4/2012) Christmas Smiles (11/2010)
Three live acoustic albums of original songs: Wildfire (2/2013) Electrified (9/2011) Two By Four (2/2011)
Past Performance Venues
As a guest performer
The Metro - Chicago, IL - Knaan concert, April 11, 2010.
The House Of Blues - Chicago, IL - Sister Hazel concert, December 18, 2009.
As an independent artist
Lollapalooza Music Festival - Chicago, IL
Milwaukee Summerfest Music Festival - Milwaukee, WI
Earth Day Festival on the National Mall - Washington DC
Chicago ABC-7 television Windy City Live morning show - Chicago, IL
Yellow Phone Music Conference - Milwaukee, WI
Sonicbids HQ - Boston, MA
House Of Blues, on both main stage and Crossroads stage - Chicago, IL
Kiss-FM Coca Cola Lounge - Chicago, IL
The Apple Store - Chicago, IL
Hard Rock Cafe - Chicago, IL
Six Flags Great America - Gurnee, IL
ChicAGoGo television show - Chicago, IL
Abbey Pub, Elbo Room, Uncommon Ground on Clark, Heartland Cafe,
Tonic Room, Red Line Tap, Katerinas, Looseleaf Lounge - Chicago, IL
Dandelion Wine Festival, Mariposa Festival, Beloit International Film Festival BIFF+Music, Buffalo Grove Days, and ArtWauk festivals, Ballydoyle, Potbelly, Madame ZuZus Teahouse, Live at 1935 - Chicagoland
AmplyFi, Republic Of Pie, Anaheim Farmers Market - Los Angeles, CA
With Berklee Five Week Summer Program
Berklee Performance Center • Cafe 939 • Berklee CAF • Berklee Bookstore - Boston, MA
With Voices Rising middle school chorus
Carnegie Hall - New York • The Kennedy Center - Washington DC
Symphony Hall - Chicago • Harris Theater - Chicago • Pick-Staiger Hall - Evanston, IL
• National YoungArts Winner, honorable mention in the popular voice category.
• ASCAP Plus Award, Popular Music Division.
• Lollapalooza full merit scholarship to return to 2013 Berklee 5-Week summer program.
• 12th Annual Independent Music Awards Nominee, top 5 in 2013 IMA social action category, winners to be announced spring 2013.
• 29th Annual Mid-Atlantic Song Contest Winner, 1st Place in open category.
• 14th Annual Great American Song Contest finalist.
• ISC International Songwriting Competition semi-finalist.
• ASCAP Plus Award, Popular Music Division.
• AdColor AdMusic Winner.
• ANRGirl Monthly Critique Winner, June.
• Songwriter Universe Song Of The Month Winner, October.
• Captain Planet Foundation/Rocket21 Dream GREEN Grand Prize Winner.
• Ellie Goulding Next IT Girl 1st Place Winner.
• Full merit scholarship to return to 2012 Berklee 5-Week summer program.
• Mountain Stage NewSong Midwest Finalist.
• UK Song Contest finalist.
• Malibu Music Awards finalist.
• EcoArts Songs Of Freedom finalist.
• Converse Rubbertrack Studios/Rocket21 finalist.
• MEOW Discoveries finalist.
• Berklee/Sonicbids Battle For Five-Week 1st Place Winner.
• COLLEGE NEWS featured artist contest winner, September.
• Live59 Singer/Songwriter Contest 1st Place Winner, Plainfield, IL 3-round competition.
• Edge On Air radio featured artist, June.
• Sing! Top 3 finalist, Deer Park, IL.
• NATS Chicago Chapter Top 5, musical theatre. Youngest competitor.
2010 NY Song Circle Music 5th Annual Songwriters Contest Young Songwriters Award Runner-Up.
2008 Sam Ash Guitar Solo Contest Winner, judged by Derek St. Holmes from Ted Nugent Band.
Each year since 2009, perform a series of fundraiser concerts at local Potbelly sandwich shop from Thanksgiving through Christmas, and donate all tips and sales of "Christmas Smiles" song to CureSearch For Childrens Cancer research foundation.
Down To Earth
Sales of "Down To Earth" song donated to EarthDay.org sustainable energy projects.
Don't Leave Her Behind
Asked to write a song for the newly established United Nations International Day Of The Girl, promoting girls rights. "Don't Leave Her Behind" song was broadcast live at the Day Of The Girl Summit, 10.11.12. Sales from ReverbNation.com donate half to Half The Sky Movement for girls/women's rights, through the ReverbNation MUSIC IS GOOD program.
2011, 2012, 2013 Berklee College Of Music Five-Week Summer Performance Programs
Full merit scholarship three consecutive summers: 2011 Battle For Five Week Winner and 2012 Lollapalooza Merit Scholarship recipient. Auditioned into Singers Showcase (1 of 5), Songwriter Showcase (1 of 8), Blowout Concert World Ensemble at Berklee Performance Center. Selected to perform at 2011 trustees meeting. Selected to perform a solo CAF Show, July 2011.
High School, 2009-present, Class of 2014
Percussionist in school orchestra; started school jazz combo; guitarist and drummer in school jazz combo; freshman member of choir and honors chorus and NATS finalist. AP Music Theory as a sophomore; wrote and arranged orchestra compositions performed at school concerts as well as a jazz composition; performed solo acoustic at school concerts; won the 2012 talent show and the prize was to performed an original song at a 2012 commencement ceremony. Completed Coursera Berklee 6-week online Songwriting course, spring 2013. Skipped 8th grade. Varsity soccer center midfielder starter since freshman year; 2012 MVP and high goal scorer; 2013 co-captain; selected for Illinois ODP team for 4 years.
• Since age 12, Musician at Potbelly Sandwich Shop, 12-2pm Saturdays, Wheeling, IL
• Since age 13, set up own web sites, file own copyrighting and ASCAP, apply online for shows and songwriting contests.
• Since age 15, record vocal tracks for songwriter demos, for clients of a San Diego, CA studio.
• Created HangOn, a recycling system for wire hangers, which received a 2013 NSHSS grant.
• Selected but didn't go: 2012 Grammy Camp, soccer ODP Regionals, The Voice Season 4 via industry audition.
• Interviews: Huffington Post HooplaHa video, Chicago Tribune video, Chicago Sun-Times, Daily Herald, Time Out Chicago Kids, Berklee Blog, Kidzapalooza Blog video, Chicago Acoustic Underground video, Fearless Radio podcast, Vents Magazine, Chicago Music Guide, LiveFix Music Blog podcast, Illiinois Center for Broadcasting video, CLC Radio podcast .
• Started writing songs when started guitar; guitar/jazz lessons on and off from 2nd grade through middle school. Self-taught in piano, drums, bass, voice. As h.s. orchestra percussionist, play various drums as well as xylophone and other percussion instruments.
© Copyright 2013 Kate Diaz